Dental implant supported dentures are quickly becoming the preferred type of full-mouth replacement, and for good reason. Traditional dentures have been around forever it seems, and while they have evolved and improved significantly over the years, there are still some disadvantages that can’t be helped. Implant supported dentures eliminate many of the problems of traditional dentures.
What Are Dental Implant Supported Dentures?
To fully understand the benefits of implant supported dentures, it is necessary to understand what they are and how they work. A dental implant is an artificial tooth and root system that looks and functions like a natural tooth. The metal titanium implant root is surgically placed in the jaw bone and a crown is attached to the top.
With implant supported dentures, the implant root is placed, an abutment (or post) is attached to the top, but there is no crown attached. Instead the complete arch prosthesis (denture) attaches to the abutment/ s. Usually there are 4 dental implants placed in the jaw to hold one complete denture arch.
What is an All-on-4 Procedure?
An “All-on-4” refers to the procedure of placing 4 implants and attaching the denture prosthesis on the same day. It used to be that there was a waiting period of a few weeks between the placement of the implants and the attaching of the dentures, but that is no longer necessary. With only 4 implants the cost is lower and the procedure takes less time.
Benefits of Implant Supported Dentures Over Traditional Dentures
The many benefits of opting for implant supported dentures are as follows:
- Stay securely in place. One of the biggest benefits of implant supported dentures is the middle word: supported. The implants give the dentures support so that they stay securely in place. No slipping, no shifting, and no pinching or irritation to your gums. Implant supported dentures are permanent and can only be removed by your dentist.
- No messy adhesives. Traditional dentures are held in place with a combination of suction and denture adhesives, which can be messy and unpleasant to use. They also have to be scrubbed off with a brush every night before reapplying them the next day. And it is a never-ending expense as long as you have traditional dentures.
- Eat more of the foods you want. There are foods that can be difficult to eat or simply frustrating to eat with traditional dentures. Foods with seeds tend to get stuck underneath dentures and particularly hard foods may be painful to chew or off limits because they can cause damage to dentures. Chewy or sticky foods can cause dentures to detach from your gums as you’re chewing. But with implant supported dentures, you get 3 times the biting force so you can eat normally as you would with your natural teeth.
- Brush your teeth normally. With implant supported dentures you brush your teeth in the usual way, rather than removing your dentures to brush and soak them. It is less maintenance before going to bed each night.
- Less bone loss in the jaw. When the natural teeth are removed to prepare for traditional dentures, the jaw bone starts to weaken and will gradually resorb (dissolve). This continues to happen over the years that traditional dentures are worn. However, dental implants actually preserve and even strengthen the jaw bone as they fuse together and form a permanent bond.
The Benefits of Full Mouth Replacement at Periodontal Associates
When you need a full mouth replacement, you have more options now than ever before. Traditional dentures may seem to save you money at the start, but the long term cost is often more when you factor in adhesives, cleaning products, and more frequent replacement. Dental implants and the supported dentures can last for your lifetime. Periodontal Associates performs All-On-4 procedures to give patients same day dentures that are more secure and more convenient.
We have two offices for your convenience. Call 508-875-6185 to make an appointment at our Framingham office or 617-964-6185 for our Newton Office. You can also request an appointment at either office. We look forward to helping you live a more convenient lifestyle with a new smile.